Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Jumping on the Band Wagon

I have read blogs, websites, and articles for years about frugality and have slowly implimented living more simply into my lifestyle. This is an ongoing battle and I am hoping that keeping a blog will keep me in check and I want to share what has/hasn't helped me. I have created a budget (sticking to it is another matter that will be discussed), gotten creative on saving electricity, curtailed some spending (getting a wee bit better at it), and most importantly of all created goals for myself.



Setting goals should have been a no brainer since all we did in elementary school was set goals for classes and what we want to be when we grew up and what we wanted to do over summer holiday and blah blah blah. It took me almost 30 YEARS to utilize these mad skillz ingrained in me from early childhood. I sat around for years looking a frugal websites and thinking about awesome it is that people live like this and realized I was not living like this because I had no direction. So I set myself a list of simple goals. I asked myself, "What do I want to have at the end of five years". I came up with three goals I want to attain in five years: a new roof, $7,200 in savings, and a screened in porch (currently no porch much less bug free). I'm figuring this will total around $16,000. No easy feat for a single gal working at a low level government job. I would also not like to accrue any debt (even pay off all of my debt *gasp*) during this period of time. So maybe that is four goals??? Whatever, math was never my forte.

No comments:

Post a Comment